Roots in the Ruin 2018
Roots in the Ruin, a program of spiritual accompaniment to nurture the hope and develop resilience in the middle of conflict and emotional trauma, has set the schedule for its 2018 programs.
Participants throughout Latin America and the Caribbean have learned to deal with trauma — both natural- and human-driven — through this program. Best of all, they have gone on to train and help others learn. It is one of the most successful partnerships The Brookfield Institute has and one that we take immense pride in.
This year's agenda is full of activities, responsibilities and ways to continue learning, healing and growing. Of course, it comes at a price and that is where we all can help. A small donation goes a long way with Roots in the Ruin. Your help can cover the cost of a student's travels, the requisite texts or the course fees (which are minimal). Every dollar helps. Please donate today.
We are especially eager to begin our work in Puerto Rico, which has suffered and continues to suffer from Hurricane Maria. Resilience is a hallmark of Puerto Ricans, but it has understandably flagged and we need to be there to help them regain it. We are still in the process of scheduling our courses in Puerto Rico; it is challenging!
Earthquake zones in Mexico are another priority — the needs are tremendous and the opportunities to help multiply daily.
Multiple courses at varying levels are being offered in 2018. Students who want to be facilitators of Roots in the Ruin need to complete the basic course (Level 1) and the three courses of the second level. All will be offered in different parts of Mexico and Chile (and eventually Puerto Rico) this year.
All courses are taught exclusively in Spanish. For more information, contact Elena Huegel.
Here is our calendar:
- Feb. 15-16: Level 2, Odyssey of Healing, Chiapas, Mexico.
- Nov. 5-9: Facilitator training.
- Feb. 9-11, March 2-4: Basic course, Level 1.
- June 15-16: Conflict Transformation for Congregations and Communities, Level 2.
- Sept. 7-8: Hope for Communities and Congregations, Level 2.
- April 6-8: Mediation.
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
- July 15-21: Hope in Trauma, basic course, Level 1.
Puerto Rico (planned but not confirmed)
- April 27-29 and May 2-6: Hope in Trauma, basic course, Level 1.
- May 10-12: Conflict Transformation for Congregations and Communities, Level 2
- May 18-20: Odyssey from Victim to Healer: Hope for the Individual, Level 2
- May 25-27: Four Winds of Healing: Hope for Communities and Congregations, Level 2
- Jan. 25-28: Basic course, Level 1. Email: email@example.com
- April 20-22: Transformation of Conflicts in Communities and Congregations, Level 2.